John Roe Sustainability Impact Awards:
These awards honor the late Penn State mathematics professor John Roe, who was passionate about sustainability and the outdoors and worked tirelessly to incorporate these values into his teaching. They recognize students who cultivate opportunities to advance the Sustainable Development Goals while demonstrating personal integrity and an unwavering commitment to fostering justice and to strengthening partnerships.
Anyone in the Penn State community can submit a nomination and students can self-nominate.
In 2020-2021, from 73 nominees across all campuses and multiple disciplines there were five student award winners:
- Dallas Barber (Class of 2023, international politics, Brandywine)
- Lydia Carey (Class of 2021, community, environment and development and international studies, University Park)
- Kaylin Currier (Class of 2022, environmental science and biology, Behrend)
- Divya Jain (Class of 2021, chemistry, University Park)
- Paulo Soares (Graduate student, energy and mineral engineering, University Park)
In 2019-2020, from 33 nominees there were 10 student award winners–representing undergraduates and graduates across many disciplines:
- Whitney Ashead (Class of 2020, agricultural science and geography, University Park)
- Rim Boujnah (LLM student, Penn State Law)
- Elijah DePaulis (Class of 2020, wildlife technology major, DuBois)
- Julio Diarte (Graduate student, architecture, University Park)
- Yumna Kurdi (Graduate student, architectural engineering, University Park)
- Benjamin Lyman (Class of 2020, biology, University Park)
- Celeste Makay (Class of 2020, environmental science, Behrend)
- Anna Nguyen (Class of 2022, food science, Brandywine)
- Emily Sandall (Graduate student, entomology, University Park)
- Nick Unis (Class of 2020 and graduate student, finance and accounting, University Park)
The award is generously supported by the Dr. John Roe Fund for a Just and Sustainable Future. To learn more about John and the Fund for a Just and Sustainable Future please read the PSU News Article or watch the video below.
Dr. John Roe: