Sustainability Education Workshop – Penns Woods Workshop
June 22, 2022 - June 24, 2022
PENN STATE’S SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION INITIATIVE
Sustainability Education Workshop / PENN’S WOODS WORKSHOP | UNIVERSITY PARK, PA
June 22-24, 2022
Penn State’s Sustainability Institute will host a workshop to develop sustainability coursework from June 22nd -24th 2022. Faculty across the university’s commonwealth campuses, University Park Colleges, and all disciplines are encouraged to attend. Dr. Peter Buck, the Sustainability Institute’s Academic Programs Manager, Dr. Nagwa Elnwishy, Humphrey Fellow, will lead discussions of materials ranging from current research on planetary boundaries, environmental justice, the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, curricular planning, and more. Guest faculty will attend sessions, discussions, and take field trips with various experts in sustainability education and practice.
Expected outcomes: Over the three days, guest faculty will be able to:
- Understand and develop a common language for sustainability,
- Connect it to their disciplines and coursework,
- Explore new perspectives of sustainability in interactive activities
- Visit some of the Penn State community’s sustainable assets, developed units and whole courses that span the disciplines and creative integration of sustainability.
- Build a supportive community of practice from different disciplines and backgrounds.
- Guest faculty are expected to fully participate in the 3 days training and activities.
- By the end of the workshop, guests are expected to give a presentation to illustrate and share ideas of how they will embed sustainability concepts into their courses, and their new approaches to teach those courses.
- Upon completion of the workshop, guests will be have a plan to deliver their changes.
More details will be discussed during the workshop.
Expenses: Attendees will receive $500 of supplemental pay for developing new or revised materials. They will be expected to share these materials with the group at a later date. The Sustainability Institute will cover all lodging and travel-related expenses.
Capacity: the workshop attendance will be capped at fifteen. Selection is based on first-come first-serve basis per discipline to ensure disciplinary diversity in the group.
Registration: To register, please go online (https://forms.gle/dABVKqRCx2hAaxi66). Registration will be open until June 15, 2022.
If you have questions, please contact Peter Buck at PeterBuck@psu.edu