The Organic Materials Processing and Education Center (OMPEC) is the program that leads Penn State's composting efforts as a waste disposal alternative. OMPEC formed as a result of the combined efforts of students, staff, a Personnel of Housing and Food Services (HFS), the Office of Physical Plant (OPP), and the College of Agricultural Sciences (CAS).
How it works:
- The project composts:
- Food waste
- Landscaping debris
- Animal manure
- The composting is then used for:
- Campus landscaping projects
- Athletic field maintenance
- Agricultural research and demonstration projects
Making it count:
- What began as a 10 week demonstration project from one small dining commons is currently handling pre-consumer food waste and napkins from about 70,000 weekly meals in seven dining commons and kitchen prep wastes from two campus hotels and conference centers and campus daycare center.
- For more information, please contact email@example.com.