Operating since 1997, Penn State’s Newspaper Readership Program offers free newspapers to students, as well as scholarship dollar.
- This program generates 1.6 tons of newspapers for the waste stream daily
- The University’s housing and janitorial services collect newspapers placed in recycling bins, and market them through Onyx Waste Services
- Students have access to the New York Times, USA Today and the Centre Daily Time
- The net profits from marketed recycled newspaper are donated to Penn State’s Scholarship funds
- Over the past nine years, over $70,000 has been generated for scholarships by this program
- For more details, http://www.newspapers.psu.edu/.