SUSTAINABILITY & DIVERSITY AT PENN STATE
In its 2012 Strategic Plan for Sustainability, Penn State defined sustainability as:
the simultaneous pursuit of human health and happiness, environmental quality, and economic well-being for current and future generations.
This comprehensive integration of sustainability into the University’s research, teaching, outreach, and operations will prepare students, faculty, and staff to be sustainability leaders.
Sustainability is a pursuit, a voyage of discovery, in which we can work together to forge solutions to the problems that are creating instability in our world. Below are some resources to expand an understanding of the term "sustainability," how it relates to every person at Penn State, the factors threatening the quality of life for future generations, and suggested frameworks to create solutions. This section also includes resources to explore social justice issues.
Sustainability Resources by Type
- Penn State Sustainability Video: Understand sustainability and what it means to Penn State with this 8-minute video produced in February 2013 by the award-winning Penn State Public Media. Download the discussion guide put together for unit-level strategic planning.
- Sustainability Explained Through Animation, a short 5-minute snapshot of how we should care for our planet.
- What is Sustainability? In this video sponsored by the European Foundation for Management Development, Jonathan T. Scott explains a business perspective of sustainability, offering insights on how industries can reap benefits when they cut waste, extend the useful lives of resources, and think in the long term.
- Videos on Social Justice Issues:
Money Talks: Profits Before Patient Safety http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/money-talks-profits-before-patient-safety/
- How Great Leaders Inspire Action: What makes a great leader? Simon Sinek has a simple but powerful model for inspirational leadership all starting with a golden circle and the question "Why?" His examples include Apple, Martin Luther King, and the Wright brothers .
Guides and PDFs
- Penn State Outreach Green Team Strategic Plan
- The Natural Step Sustainability Primer
- Penn State Sustainability Strategic Plan
- Every third year, Penn State completes a national assessment, created by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) of its progress towards embedding sustainability into its teaching, research, operations and outreach. In October 2014, Penn State received a gold rating for its STARS submission. The report illustrates the many ways in which the University and its community are progressing towards its sustainability goals and opportunities for further advancement.
- Penn State is a Sustainable State
- Sustainability Planning Guidebook: The guidebook is the result of a several month process involving faculty from multiple colleges and staff from several units. The guidebook aims to help Penn State colleges, campuses and units engage with sustainability strategically and it offers frameworks to understand a variety of concepts connected to sustainability.
- You @ PSU Worksheet
- Activities to explore social justice issues.
- Resources to explore social justice issues.
- Green Teams in Corporate America
- The "Sustainability Lives Here" presentation
- Recording of the "Sustainability Lives Here" presentation
- Discussion Questions for the presentation
- How Diversity Matters: The Connection between Sustainability and Diversity
- How Diversity Matters Presentation Recording