Eco reps are students committed to creating a culture of sustainability at Penn State. The position is paid and welcomes students from diverse majors and backgrounds to encourage sustainable behaviors in the residence halls through fun activities and events. Currently, the program is in East and Pollock Halls, where each building is assigned two Eco-reps.
What do Eco-reps do?
- Provide Peer to Peer education on sustainability in the residence halls
- Lead the halls in fun events and activities related to sustainability
- Connect with other students, faculty, student organizations and staff
- Initiate behavior change among Penn State students and teach fellow students how to make more sustainable choices and why it matters
- Gain practical leadership experience in the growing field of sustainability
The Eco-reps have had many successes that include the support of and implementation of Penn State’s Zero Waste initiatives in East Halls, as well as diverting thousands of pounds of trash from the landfill and carbon dioxide from the air.
The Eco-Rep Program is made possible by the collaborative efforts of Housing, Residence Life, Penn State faculty and the Sustainability Institute.
The Penn State Eco-Rep program is designed to increase environmental awareness and inspire behavior change on campus. Eco-Reps offer information on environmental topics, serve as a sounding board for environmental concerns in the residence halls and offer activities surrounding sustainability. They educate residence hall students about environmental issues, such as waste reduction and energy conservation, and will help plan related activities in their assigned residence halls.
What We Are Looking For
The ideal Eco-Rep candidate is not necessarily the one with the most knowledge about the environment. We look for people with strong leadership and communication skills who are enthusiastic about learning about and promoting sustainable living. If you are reliable, good-natured and excited to be a sustainability advocate in your residence hall, we want you!
- Creative, enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about environmental and social issues
- Effective communication skills (through a variety of means)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to see projects through to completion
- Ability to learn information about environmental topics and relate that information to your peers
- Students who can be held accountable for their work and who have strong time-management skills
Eco-Reps must attend fall training and be available to welcome our new students during move-in, as well as weekly training and planning meetings (day and time TBA). At each meeting, you will help plan activities and brainstorm actions you'll take in your residence halls over the following week and throughout the semester. Other duties include group activities, collaborative projects and opportunities to represent the Eco-Rep Program at various campus events.
What you will gain
As an Eco-Rep, you will gain the knowledge and skills to successfully communicate sustainability to your peers. Our goal is to increase overall student awareness of effective actions that encourage stewardship and lead to lasting change on campus that benefits the Penn State community now and into the future.
- Leadership and peer education skills
- Knowledge of environmental and social topics
- The experience of working with other passionate students
- $1,000 stipend | $500 per semester
Eco-Rep Student Program Coordinator
Eco-Rep Student Program Coordinator
Assistant Director of Housing and Eco-Rep Program Advisor